Settlement Assistance Grant
Provides up to $500* per household to help first-time Philadelphia homebuyers pay for closing costs. Includes free homeownership counseling.
Note: The grant cannot be used toward a down payment or other home-buying expenses.
Eligibility requirements apply.
What type of property is eligible?
The property must be a single-family home or duplex located in Philadelphia.
Who is eligible?
- You must be a first-time buyer**.
- You must complete homeownership counseling through an DHCD-funded housing counseling agency before signing an Agreement of Sale.
- You must be income eligible.
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Household Income|
For households larger than eight, add $5,560 for each member.
(Income guidelines subject to change)
Why is homeownership counseling required?
Buying a home is a big investment. Counseling teaches you:
- How to purchase within your means
- How to avoid dangerous mortgages
- The rights and responsibilities of homeowners
- The mortgage application/purchase process
- Credit repair and maintenance
- Money management
- Home maintenance
- Mortgage default prevention
How do I apply?
Contact one of the DHCD-funded housing counseling agencies. Before you call, get the following information together so you can give it to the housing counselor:
- Amount of total annual household income
- Source of that income (employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
Other First-Time Homebuyer Program
Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA): This state agency offers a variety of grants and loans for home purchases, home repairs and foreclosure prevention. For more information, call 1-800-822-1174 or visit the website.
* Grants will be provided as long as funding is available.
** The definition of first-time homebuyer varies by program. In some cases, a first-time homebuyer may have previously owned a home. Contact a housing counseling agency for more information.