Weatherization Assistance Program
What is the Weatherization Assistance Program?
The Weatherization Assistance Program provides free weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to owner-occupied houses and tenant-occupied rental units located in the City of Philadelphia. Eligibility requirements apply.
What types of improvements are made?
Depending on the results of a free energy audit, each eligible property may receive a combination of the following improvements:
- Weather-stripping, caulking and repair of primary windows and doors
- Hot water heater wrapping or replacement
- Wrapping hot water pipes and heating ducts
- Refrigerator replacement
- Sealing of basement openings, crawlspaces and chaseways
- Insulating and air-sealing of the roof area
- Repair and efficiency modifications to central heating systems
- Replacement of dryer flex duct with smooth metal pipe
- Replacement of some incandescent bulbs with CFLs
- Programmable thermostat installation
- In-home energy education
Who is eligible?
Whether you are an owner or a tenant, you must live in the property that needs weatherization assistance. It must be located in Philadelphia. Your annual income cannot be more than the amount listed below for the number of people living in your home. Your property may not have received Weatherization Assistance Program services in the past.
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Household Income|
For households larger than eight, add $8,320 for each member.
(Income guidelines subject to change)
How do I apply?
Applications are only taken by telephone. Before you call, get the following information together to give to the operator:
- Amount of total annual household income
- Source of that income (employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
- Your Social Security Number
Call the Weatherization Assistance Program Hotline at 215-448-2160 Monday – Thursday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Friday between 9 a.m. and Noon.
(Hearing impaired persons only, call TDD at 215-448-2184.)